Saturday, May 12, 2012

What's in a name?





I know that the first question that anyone would ask me is, why Prozac and Doughnuts?  I had a coworker that encouraged me to write just because she loved to hear the letters that I wrote at work.  Based on hearing these letters (she was my sounding board) she encouraged me to write more.   Normally, these letters were pleading with a civil servant that was so mad at me for something that was usually pretty minor.   They knew that they held my future employment by a string so I wrote like I was pleading for my life.  I had to stay on their good side or they could wreak all kinds of havoc on me and the company that I work for.  I refrain from any further comments or jokes about civil servants because I married a cop, my dad spent 20 years in the military and my mom worked civil service for 50 years.  I keep my opinions to myself for obvious reasons and yes, I’m extremely proud of all of them!

Now for the story behind the name that has been inside my head begging to come out!  One day in my office, a male coworker and I were talking about a female that we deal with in our day to day business and he commented that the last time we saw her; she had a stare that looked to him like she was on Prozac or maybe an ADD medication.  I swear, that was not my take on it at all!  The only thing that I saw when I looked into her eyes was a woman that was going through the pain of a divorce and was trying to get through one more day!

Now on that same day mind you, this same man was talking to a male salesperson in my office and this person was telling him about a customer of ours that was angry with him over an order that we shipped to the construction company that she works for.  As a good salesperson, he knew that he needed to go see her and make things right, but this man told him to make sure he took her some doughnuts because that would fix anything for a woman!  Thus Prozac and Doughnuts stuck in my head and it seemed to describe what some people out there think will explain or fix anything that ails or depresses us!  I told my female coworker that when I did write something, Prozac and Doughnuts would be the title, so Tammy, I meant what I said!

In the words of one of my favorite singers, Carly Simon , “You’re so vain” you’d probably think this blog is about you.  It’s not about a man, it’s about me.  Whenever I have a problem, point to make or even a joke to tell, I seem to be in the company of a person (sorry guys, but usually a male), that can make it about them.  Sometimes girls, it’s just about us.  We don’t need Prozac or Doughnuts, we just need to be able to be mad, sad, glad or just pissed off and let it be about us!  Then we need to pray to God for strength and have no doubt that one way or another, he will give us the strength that we need.  He might even tell you to write about it so that someone else might be able to just get through one more day, with a smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment