Sunday, May 13, 2012

Keep those little bells ringing!

I was just sitting here enjoying my Hot Tamales candy that I got for a Mother's Day gift.  It sort of makes me sad because I recently found out that our small town was losing it's only candy store.  The couple that owned it did everything right and worked hard to be good stewards in our community and were just plain nice people.  It's sad that small businesses just don't seem to have an edge anymore because the super stores have even taken over those special things that we used to go to the small, neighborhood store to get.

One example is Jelly Belly Jelly Beans.  The candy store in town had a display where you could make your own mix and buy an entire bag of one flavor (like rootbeer) if that's what you had a hankering for!  Our one and only grocery store chain in this area built a fancy new"super" store and low and behold, there was the same Jelly Belly dispensers.  I know they all taste the same and they are probably a little cheaper in the super store.  It's not the same though when you can stop and chat with Mr. Ron as my kids call him and he knew all of their names too.  He even made sure that he kept Zots for my husband when he found out that he had a weakness for them.  Not many people have a place where they can go and have an experience like that.  I for one try not to take these small town moments for granted because I grew up in a big city not too far away from here.  It seems like a million miles away in comparison. 

Please don't take the small business owner for granted.  They are usually doing something that they have a passion for and give their heart and soul to be accepted and liked by their community.  I wish I could have done more for our candy store.  I know times are tough and we've all had to give up some of those treats that we used to be able to splurge on more often. When you do have time and maybe are lucky enough to have a little extra change in your pocket, try to find a small business out there in your community.  They are probably more happy to see you walk through their door than some huge store that feels more like a warehouse.  I would rather walk through a door that makes a ringing noise from the little bell hanging on it, see a smiling face and even hearing a sincere "Hello, how are you today?"

Walking through the super store sliding door begins with the complimentary rush of gail force wind followed by looking up at a TV screen that I swear makes me look about 10 pounds heavier.  Then I get to push a basket to the very back of the store because that's where they keep everything that I need!  I am thankful that I can buy so many things in one place but then it's also a curse that you can buy everything in one place.  It's exhausting at best and I miss smaller grocery stores.  I might be the only one in the world that doesn't love being able to shop for clothes and bread all in one store, but I just don't!

So just once in a while, try that little bakery down the street.  Go to a coffee shop that might not have a drive through, but it will make you slow down for just a few minutes and be thankful for people that wake up every day and open up their doors with little bells hanging on them just hoping that they get to say hi to you and help brighten your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment