Sunday, May 20, 2012

How Much Time Should It Take?

I love my Dad dearly.  Our John Deer mower that was a hand-me- down from an uncle, is not working (again).  My seventy something Dad loaded up his truck with everything necessary to tackle my acre and a third and that's just what we did.  My oldest got to use my father's riding mower first.  Quite an honor!  He did a great job but then had some errands to run, most importantly, going to Whataburger to get us lunch.

My husband was next to get to mow.  All this time mind you, I get to use the Weed Eater!  That's the story of my life growing up with brothers.  I got the somewhat boring mundane job most of the time and let the men do their manly work!

The funny thing was, my Dad couldn't take watching my husband mow the yard because he thought he was going to slow!  My husband usually drives our mower because he enjoys putting on his cowboy had and ear buds with God knows what playing on the IPOD.  He actually likes to go slow because he enjoys the whole man and machine experience.

My poor Dad couldn't take it anymore and went and booted him off of the mower and did it himself!  Luckily, my husband didn't seem too wounded by this, but I couldn't help but think about what it all meant in my little mind.  My Dad thinks he doesn't have much time left (literally).  He asked a produce guy if he had any bananas that weren't so green because he might die waiting for them to turn yellow.

My husband on the other hand, spent 20 years as a cop.  Everywhere he went was in a hurry.  Usually a big hurry.  He's more than happy to slow it down now and his new relationship with God has been the catalyst for this I think.  He used to eat fast because he only had 30 minutes to eat at work if he was lucky.  Most of the time he'd get a call and have to eat on the run if he got to at all.  Most people make fun of cops and their eating habits, but don't judge them because they can have some crazy long days!

Sometimes I think about things for much longer than most.  This kept coming back to my mind because it just shows how we all have a different pace due to where we are in life.  I'm about as passive as you can get, so I just don't see any reason to get excited about this time thing.  I get that some schedules are necessary, but we're all just trying to pack as much into a day as we can and sometimes it's okay to put it in low gear and enjoy the ride! 

No comments:

Post a Comment